Empowering, inspiring and nurturing women and girls
The Zonta Club of Las Piñas, Philippines, and Junior Chamber International - Perlas Pasay partnered for the I AM P.I.N.A.Y. (I AM Powered, Inspired, and Nurtured Adult and Young woman) program, which is composed of 11 projects that sought to empower, inspire and nurture young and adult women in the targeted communities.
With a US$5,000 grant from Zonta International, the I AM P.I.N.A.Y. program benefitted 4,431 women and girls, far exceeding its target of 1,000 despite challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. The projects included:
- A forum for junior and senior high schools aimed to help prevent early marriages and child pregnancy.
- Livelihood trainings on cooking and establishing a business for women to promote economic independence.
- Social media campaigns on women's rights, violence against women and girls and mental health to raise awareness and educate the public.
- Donating medication and folic acid for pregnant women, face shields for health workers and a sanitation tent to the Pasay General Hospital in the wake of COVID-19.
- A virtual youth development program that discussed mental health, personal values, personality, vision 2040, personal excellence, diversity, politics and communication.
- A virtual forum on women's rights.
- Free legal consultation and legal assistance.
- Donating toiletries/hygiene kits, disinfectants such as alcohol and bleach, personal protective equipment (masks and face shields), school supplies and emergency first aid kits to safe homes taking care of exploited children.
- A virtual yoga session to promote self-care and good health.
Although COVID-19 caused a massive roadblock for the program, it also helped organizers be more resourceful, creative, responsive and driven. Junior Chamber International - Perlas Pasay plans to retain 10 of the 11 projects and hopes to be able to hold the postponed free cervical screening and surgical procedure this year.
Read More Stories of Impact